Wednesday, May 27, 2009

our incredible family and milestones in May

We have the best family! This past weekend we started to put up a privacy fence in our backyard. Due to the rain, we didn't quite get finished. However, my parents, Brett's parents, my grandparents, and my brother all came to help us. My dad came up with the fence design and helped us map it all out. On Saturday, my dad, my mom, Brett, Brett's dad, and my grandfather all worked in the rain and mud to dig holes for the posts. My grandmother came to watch Aubrey, and when Brett's mom came to help watch her, I was able to go outside and help. My grandmother also brought lunch on Saturday-- including a bag of ice, paper plates, and plastic cups and utensils, so I wouldn't have to worry about anything! On Sunday afternoon my brother came and joined in the fun. He had worked for a fencing company one summer, so he had experience to add. Alan even spent the night and stayed on Monday as well. Brett and I are so incredibly blessed to have such a great, giving, generous family. If he and I had been putting up a fence ourselves, it probably would have all fallen over already.

May has been a busy month for all of us, but it has been full of a lot of great things:
1. Relay for Life (check out our last post for more info about it)
2. my 2nd Mother's Day-- Brett and Aubrey got me an iPod. I'm still learning how to use it, but I'm getting there.
3. Alan's graduation-- Alan graduated from Cumberland Law School on May 16th. We are all so proud of him. Also, since he was president of his class, he had to give a speech. I had nothing to be critical about with the speech-- it was great!
4. end of school-- I wrapped up my 4th year of teaching this year. My class was very sweet, and I am going to miss them. As always, I have done a lot of self evaluation in regards to my teaching, and I'm excited about some new ideas I'm going to try next year to make it even better. On a sad note, I had to say goodbye to 2 of my teaching friends. Let's just say that this summer I'm going to have to set aside time to go walking with Jana and Brett and I may have to take a vacation to Texas sometime soon! (I miss you already, Kristen!)
5. Aubrey's new bed-- this past weekend I converted Aubrey's bed to a toddler bed. The first day was not the smoothest transition, but last night and today's nap have been wonderful! I laid her down after reading a few books, and she stayed in her bed until she fell asleep. She did all this with no pacifier! Our goal was to get her off the pacifier completely sometime this summer. Hopefully, it's coming sooner than we thought.

I'm sure many more milestones will come this summer, and I will do my best to keep you all updated. She's close to counting to 10 by herself. As of right now, I just have to say one, three, four, and sometimes seven. She fills in the rest of the numbers by herself. Keep checking in for more updates!

-Lauren

No comments: